WELCOME TO SPARRING!
Here are some things you’ll learn as you spar:
1. Improve timing and distance against a moving target.
2. Gain control of your body, mind and emotions.
3. Develop the ability to react to realistic scenarios within the rules of sparring.
4. Learn accurate offensive and defensive moves.
5. Increase self-respect and confidence, as well as respect for others.
We use UPLIFT with sparring here is what UPLIFT stands for when sparring
Make connections with what moves and techniques are useful for you. Find what moves work best for your individual strengths.
Be prepared with the right equipment — You must wear all required gear to spar
Make sure your equipment is complete, undamaged, and free of improper parts or patching
Always spar with an instructor present
Get permission to begin and follow all instructions given by your instructor
Your partner’s safety is your responsibility. Always make decisions with their safety as a top priority.
Respect your partner and stay in control. Sparring should be fun for both partners.
Always calibrate your speed and power to the experience level of your partner.
Learn and practice both offensive and defensive moves by taking turns. Clearly and openly communicate with your sparring partner.
REMEMBER: WINNING IN SPARRING IS DETERMINED BY PROGRESSIVE IMPROVEMENT OVER TIME, NOT MATCHES WON.
Required gear to participate in sparring
Additional gear for combat sparring